Tuesday 9 April 2013

Happy Juice: Ginger and spinach zinger!


I love fresh juice and love fruit even more so I’m forever experimenting with new flavor combinations for juices to start my day with. To be honest I love fruit so much and think almost all fruit tastes good together but believe me this juice is worth trying as it is one of my favorites to kick start my day with. Hopefully it will become one of yours too.

Ginger and spinach zinger to kick start your day!
It is just the right balance of sweet and sour, the ginger gives it a real punch that will wake you up and it has a big helping of spinach in it which gives it an amazing green color without tasting overly earthy like some vegetable juices which can be hard to stomach first thing in the morning!
In just one glass of juice you have met most of your daily fruit and vegetable requirements. I hate juices that are watered down and although I love smoothies I think these flavors are best without milk or soy added, so this one is pure fruit and vegetables.
Pineapple helps aid in the digestion of protein so it is a great fruit to start the day with, spinach is rich in protein and contains anti-oxidants as well as vitamin A and vitamin C, and of course oranges and limes contain vitamin C. This is a great juice to make if you feel a cold starting! Ginger also contains 12 types of anti-oxidants, it is an anti-inflammatory, it helps fight against fatigue, cures morning sickness and travel sickness and brings the temperature of the body up so it is great for fighting coughs, colds and the flu.
Pineapple aids with digestion of protein
Ginger: anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immune booster
English spinach is rich in protein and vitamins C & A
Make this juice as per the recipe or throw in a fresh herb too, such as parsley (not for pregnant women though) or coriander. I sometimes throw in a teaspoon of wheatgrass powder too to amp up the goodness levels. Experiment and make it your own.
I hope you understand why this is one of the juices in my ‘Happy Juice’ recipe collection, it certainly puts a smile on my face and in my belly too!

(See the “Benefits of Ginger” on www.juicing-for-health.com)

Ingredients
½ a small ripe pineapple (or ¼ of a large one) peeled and chopped
Juice of 2 oranges
1-2 cups of spinach (stalks and all)
1-2 inches of root ginger grated (use a bit more than you think you want for a real kick!)
Squeeze of fresh lime juice

Method
For a thick pulpy juice:
Throw all the ingredients into a jug and use a stick blender to combine them all into a thick, smooth green juice. Drink, enjoy, smile.
For a thin juice:
Extract the juice from the oranges, pineapple and ginger and lime in a juicer. Pour into a jug and add the spinach and lime juice and use a stick blender to blend to a thin, smooth green juice. Drink, enjoy, smile.
Get your happy on with a Ginger and spinach zinger!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment