Friday 5 April 2013

Falafel, arugula and red pepper hummus wraps


I adore falafels! I can’t remember the first time I had them but it must have been over 20 years ago and it was love at first taste! They are one of my favorite things to make for a tasty fresh lunch and I often eat them when I spot them on a menu when I’m eating out. Here in Bali, Betelnut café make a pretty mean falafel wrap and I’m guilty of ordering it almost every other time I go there!
Falafel mix ready for cooking.
I have experimented over the years with many different recipes and this really is my favorite. They are easy to make and packed full or herbs. I especially like them in a wrap or pita bread with a fresh herby salad inside the wrap and on the side and this super easy red pepper hummus too. I usually put an extra dollop of the hummus on the side of my plate to dip my wrap in whilst eating too! Yum! 
Falafel balls rolled into shape
 I normally make a batch of the falafel mix up and keep what I don’t use in the fridge, then if I am only making lunch for me I have enough to make a couple more lunches later in the week without having to start from scratch all over again.

Ingredients
Falafels:
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
½  an onion, diced
½ a large red chili (optional)
Handful of fresh parsley
Handful of fresh coriander
A few mint leaves
Seasoning
1-2 cloves of garlic
½ tsp cumin powder
1tbsp of tahini paste or olive oil
Salad ingredients and red pepper hummus to go inside and alongside the wraps
To serve:
Tortilla wraps
Coriander leaves
Arugula
Cherry tomatoes quartered lengthways
Celery finely diced
Lime to squeeze
Red pepper hummus (see below for cheat’s recipe)
Seasoning

Method
Throw all the ingredients for the falafels into a food processor and blend until almost smooth but not quite. Form into small balls and fry a few at a time in a little oil, turning as they brown until they are golden and crisp all over.
On a slightly warmed tortilla put some arugula, coriander leaves,  and cherry tomatoes  and season. Put a few dollops of the hummus on the salad and place 2 or 3 falafels. Squeeze a little lime all over then roll the wrap.
I serve these wraps with some of the same salad ingredients on the side with seasoning and lime on it too and an extra dollop of hummus and a wedge of lime. Heaven on a plate! Enjoy.
Cooked falafels ready to go be wrapped with a squeeze of lime
Falafel wraps and salad
Easy red pepper hummus
Yes I know it is easy to make hummus and I often make my own, but I still frequently pick up a tub in the supermarket to use instead of mayo in sandwiches or to dip veggies in. Here is a great and easy way to bring store bought plain hummus to life with a couple of red peppers. I love it in the falafel wrap and it is so good I enjoy it on toasted granary bread with a squeeze of lime and some freshly ground black pepper on top. Try this instead of mayo in a sandwich and make it sing!

Ingredients
1 tub of plain hummus
2 red peppers
Olive oil
Seasoning

Method
Deseed a couple of red peppers and roughly chop into large chunks. Place in a baking tin and drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast in the oven on a high heat for 30 mins until tender. Throw the cooked peppers into the food processor with the tub of hummus and combine. Easy and tastes outrageously good!

No comments:

Post a Comment