Saturday 20 April 2013

Cheese and jalapeno scoffins


I hadn’t made any scones since living in the UK so I decided to look up a cheese scone recipe to make last week. It turns out I picked a not very good recipe and so this recipe evolved from me adapting it to make it better. The mix was far too wet to flatten out and cut scones from as one normally does, so instead of adding more flour to dry the mix out I added more milk and treated it more like a muffin mix. It was at this point that I was inspired to add some chopped jalapenos to the mix too (I always enjoy a bit of spice) so I am kind of glad the original recipe went wrong! Leave out the jalapenos if spice isn’t your thing or substitute them for chopped sun-dried tomatoes or olives. The result is a light fluffy tasty cross between a scone and a muffin- “the scoffin”.
Meet the "Scoffin".

I love bread and can’t imagine life without it but it is nice to have a change from my regular sourdough or granary bread at breakfast time. These scoffins were a delightful alternative and lovely warmed just with a little butter spread on them by themselves or with poached eggs and spinach as I had them, or with eggs and bacon as my husband enjoyed them.

Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
150g grated cheese (I used 120g cheddar and 30g Parmesan)
1 beaten egg
150ml milk
3 tsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp of pickled jalapenos, de-seeded and diced
The cheesy mix ready to go in the oven.

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 180.
Sift flour, baking powder, paprika, salt and pepper into a bowl. Whisk the egg and milk together in another bowl and add the oil and mix again. Add the liquid mix to the flour mix and combine with a metal spoon. Then fold through the cheese and jalapenos.
Spoon the mix into muffin molds until ¾ full. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. This mix made 12 medium muffins.
Fresh out the oven.
Scoffins cooling.
Yummy cheese and jalapeno scoffin.
 Enjoy with your breakfast or brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment