Thursday 31 October 2013

Mushroom Stroganoff


As long as you like mushrooms, this really is one of the simplest and tastiest vegetarian main courses you can make. Due to the meatiness of the mushrooms and richness of flavors, even my carnivore friends don’t miss the meat! 
Delicious shitake and common mushrooms.
It is a great way to turn a few simple ingredients that most of us have in the fridge into something delicious and amazing in a matter of minutes. Even when mushrooms are slightly sorry looking they can be turned into a mean stroganoff!
My mum taught me as a teenager how to make a simple mushroom stroganoff and over the years I’ve tried a few other recipes, this is the best elements of each combined with a few of my own additions too. Instead of using single cream as my mum’s recipe did, I use a low fat sour cream which gives a lovely tang and creaminess to the sauce without the guilt. 
Turn these simple ingredients into a fabulous veggie meal.
You can use any mushrooms that you like, as long as they are fresh rather than tinned. I like to use a combination to give depth of flavor, though even using one type makes for a tasty dish. I opted this time for my favorite mix of shitake and white/common mushrooms, but sometimes I’ll add some oyster, chantarelle or portobello mushrooms if I have them in the fridge. Experiment and see which you like best, you will not be disappointed.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, finely sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1tsp paprika
300-400g of sliced mushrooms (I used a mixture of shitake and common mushrooms)
150ml vegetable stock (I used a stock cube to make it)
1tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp tomato sauce or tomato puree
3tbsp sour cream or low fat sour cream
A few sprigs of fresh thyme (remove leaves to use from stems) or chopped parsley if you prefer
Seasoning
Steamed white rice
 
Mushrooms, and onion and thyme.
Time to get cooking!
Method
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for a few minutes on quite a high heat so that they soften and color slightly, stirring often. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute, stirring often. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes on a medium to high heat, stirring often.
Mushrooms added to the pan.
Add the vegetable stock, mustard and tomato sauce and stir. Let this bubble away for 5 minutes at a medium heat, stirring quite often. The stock will thicken to a sauce. 
Mushrooms cooking in the bubbling sauce.
Turn off the heat and add the thyme and sour cream and stir so that it all combines and the sauce becomes creamy and brown. Season to taste (I personally don’t add salt and add just freshly ground black pepper but you can add a little salt if you like). 
Sour cream added to the sauce.

The finished mushroom stroganoff ready to be served.
Serve over steamed white rice or pasta or a baked potato. 

Mushroom stroganoff served with steamed white rice.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment