Monday 8 July 2013

Bran collection: Tropical muffins with mango, banana, coconut and bran

After the success of my apricot, almond, bran and raisin loaf (see post 3rd July 2013), I thought I
should come up with another recipe using All Bran. My husband and I had both loved having a
bran fix at the start of the day, and it really did fill us up until lunch, so I came up with a tropical muffin recipe that is great for breakfast, a coffee or tea break or for an afternoon treat.
Tropical bran muffins cooling.
I chose mango, banana and coconut as all these fruits remind me of exotic and tropical destinations like Bali and they are favorites in my household. You can always substitute the mango or coconut for alternatives that you prefer, though believe me this combination really works. I would keep the banana in the recipe as this gives a beautiful sweetness and aroma to the muffins, like you find in banana bread.

These muffins are light, tasty and smell like holidays :)
Once again they are super easy to make, so even if you are not much of a baker give them a go.
Ingredients (yields 12 medium muffins)
¾ cup plain flour
½ cup wholewheat flour
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups mashed fully ripe bananas (about 3 medium), some lumps are fine
1 cup All Bran cereal
1/3 cup of coconut cream or milk
1tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup of vegetable oil or coconut oil
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped dried mango
¼ cup chopped dried coconut or desiccated coconut
Don't overly mash the bananas as it is nice to come across chunks of it in the muffins.
Method
1. Combine in a bowl the plain and wholemeal flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, All Bran, coconut cream or milk, and vanilla extract. Let this sit for about 5 minutes so the cereal softens. Then add the oil, egg and dried mango and coconut and beat well. Then add the flour mixture and stir just enough to combine.
Mashed bananas combined with All Bran, coconut cream and vanilla extract.
To the previous banana mixture add the fruit, oil and an agg.
3. Portion the batter into medium silicone muffin molds or into a greased muffin pan. I use 12 medium muffin molds (cupcake molds).
4. Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. You can insert a wooden toothpick into the centre of a muffin and if it comes out clean they are done.
Muffins baking in my tiny oven. The smell was amazing!
5. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan or molds.
I found it very hard to wait for them to cool before greedily pigging out on a couple!

A quick favorite breakfast muffin in my house!
If you are anything like me you won’t be able to wait until breakfast to eat one! Pair them with one of my Happy Juices for a delicious and nutritious start to your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment