Friday 1 March 2013

Quinoa, feta and garlic salad.....my new addiction!

Quinoa is the ONLY plant food that contains ALL 10 essential amino acids for the human diet. It's protein content surpasses that of wheat, rice, maize and oats and a substitute for animal protein. If these are not reason enough to rush out and buy some then I hope my salad is!


Quinoa grain after cooking in vegetable stock.

Quinoa probably only really made an appearance here in Bali last year. I have very much enjoyed eating it on my visits to many of the healthy cafes around the island but have only recently tried cooking it at home. It is delicious, and with a nutty flavor it complements so many other ingredients. Each place I have eaten it at has found a different flavor combination to serve it with and let me tell you that this salad that I conjured up one night this week when Agung was busy working late and I fancied a hearty tasty salad for dinner, has become my new addiction! I have made it twice since!


Quinoa, feta, and garlic hearty salad.


Quinoa, feta, and garlic salad 

Ingredients
1/3 of a cup of uncooked quinoa per person
1 cup of vegetable stock per person
A couple of handfuls of salad leaves per person (I used frisee, radicchio and romaine lettuce leaves) roughly torn or chopped
2-3 plum cherry tomatoes per person quartered lengthways
2 sundried tomatoes per person chopped into strips
1 minced clove of garlic per person
Feta cheese crumbled (as much or little as you like)
Fresh basil leaves shredded 
Olive oil for cooking
Mustard vinaigrette (olive oil, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper)
Salt and pepper for seasoning 


Some of the fresh ingredients: sundried tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, basil leaves, plum cherry tomatoes. 







Crispy, fresh salad leaves. I used frisee, radicchio and romaine.

Method
1. Wash the quinoa grain then toast it in a little olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a rapid boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 mins until the stock is absorbed. Once cooked fluff the grain with a fork. Set aside.
2. In a bowl combine the feta, sundried tomatoes, plum cherry tomatoes, basil, quinoa, minced garlic and vinagrette (as much or as little vinaigrette as you like, I like quite a lot!). Season to taste.
3. Combine with the salad leaves of your choice.
4. Serve and enjoy! I love it with some crusty bread for a hearty lunch. 


The finished salad with crunchy French bread.
I hope you love the combination of garlic and basil, with the nuttiness of the quinoa and the creaminess of the feta as much as me!



Tuck in!



No comments:

Post a Comment